Languedoc-Roussillon, a holiday destination that opens onto a mosaic of colours and an astonishing range of traditions and landscapes.
In Camargue, wild herds of white horses run free. In the marshlands, pink flamingos fly overhead whilst herdsmen round up their nimble, black bulls. The lighthouses stand proud, taunting the sea-born formula ones sliding over the frothy waves of the deep blue sea. Giant catamarans leave Port Camargue, shooting forth into the horizon.
The fishing boats return to their ports trailing a cloud of seagulls in their wake. Along the quays the tourists wait and watch, keen for their sea bass and sea breams. They are intrigued by the jousters perched on the wooden platforms of their red and blue boats.
At the end of a sea inlet travelled by barges, mountains of salt tower over large stretches of red water. A little further on, the dunes rise once more. The beach runs along 200 kilometres with welcoming seaside resorts, havens for naturists, past Sete, with its “singular island” and an air of Venice, unique light along the Côte Vermeille and on to Collioure, a source of inspiration for Picasso and Matisse.
And then there are the straw huts, set in the sand just for summer, where you can eat, taste local wines and sunbathe. They are exotic, trendy, sexy or glamorous. The choice is all yours. The green golf courses of Saint Cyprien or La Grande Motte are just nearby. The hiking trails, sketched into valleys reminiscent of Corsica, look out over the sea and lagoons.
Heading South! The Tramontane winds sweep new, fine, sandy beaches. Kite surfers hooked up to their multicoloured wings rise into the brilliant blue sky. At the edge of the Côte Vermeille, divers weave in and out of the Banyuls or Cerbère seabed, populated with red coral and white skates. The Pyrenees plummet into the blue sea.
At the foot of the stunningly tall cliffs nestle small coves. Coves which, like the beaches, Roman arenas, museums, medieval cities bathed in sunshine…are as many beautiful settings for holidays on the Mediterranean coast.
- Argelès sur Mer South of Perpignan, the sea meets mountains...
- Balaruc les Bains At the edge of the Etang de Thau, a resort and spa in sunny Mediterranean.
- Banyuls sur Mer At the foot of Albères, terraced vineyards plunge into the Mediterranean.
- Bouzigues Stop at the Canal du Midi on the Etang de Thau, a typical Mediterranean fishing village.
- Canet en Roussillon A marina and all the leisure activities to live a seaside active.
- Cerbère Straddling France and Spain.
- Collioure In the magical light of the Vermilion Coast.
- Frontignan la Peyrade Seven kilometers of beach awarded the Blue Flag.
- Gruissan A maze of alleys "circulade" wrapping around its castle and famous chalets on stilts.
- La Grande Motte A unique pyramidal architecture 40 years ago born of the will of man.
- Le Grau du Roi - Port Camargue In the Camargue, this "wild and mysterious place" has preserved its traditional character.
- Le Cap d'Agde A vibrant tourist resort built on an ancient volcano.
- Leucate - La Franqui Startling varied landscapes and unspoiled paradise for lovers of wind.
- Marseillan Bathed in the Thau basin, along the Canal du Midi, a port undeniable charm.
- Mauguio-Carnon Warm and friendly atmosphere in this resort on the outskirts of Montpellier.
- Mèze "Small" fishing harbour, nestled between vineyards and pond.
- Narbonne Plage In the heart of La Clape, a tidy resort.
- Palavas les Flots A universe between sky and sea
- Port Barcarès Moor in Port Barcarès, the smile is at the end of the dock!
- Port la Nouvelle Port la Nouvelle, the freedom destination in the Mediterranean, is an authentic city .
- Portiragnes The Portiragnes long sandy beaches of the nearby Canal du Midi.
- Port Vendres Port Vendres, busiest fishing harbour in Roussillon, marina and resort.
- Saint Cyprien At the foot of the Pyrenees, in the heart of Roussillon ...
- Saint Pierre la Mer Sand, sea air, foam, walking, relaxing, clean water and incredible light.
- Sainte Marie la Mer The tranquility and charm of a rural village, feet in the water.
- Sérignan Preserved authentic village and seaside
- Sète Venice of the Languedoc, because of its light, its colors, its reflections and its canals.
- Torreilles A family resort in the heart of an authentic Catalan village.
- Valras-Plage A family friendly resort.
- Vendres The charm of an unspoilt resort where nature still has its place.
- Villeneuve les Maguelone A magnificent cathedral placed in the middle of the pond.
- Vias-Plage A long sandy cove surrounded by wild lagoons.
- Private beaches Enjoy all the pleasures of the beach.